Whether it’s for a family reunion, a holiday celebration or just an excuse to get together with some friends, summer is a popular time for cookouts. Although many traditional foods served at a BBQ can pack in the fat and calories, there are many healthy treats that you can enjoy without worrying about your waistline. Try some of these tasty ideas at your next BBQ:
- Enjoy seasonal fruits and vegetables. They don’t get more delicious or nutritious then when they are just picked locally.
- Have veggies and dip instead of chips and dip.
- Remember to include broccoli, cauliflower and summer squash since they are in season. Low-fat salad dressing or hummus can be a great way to add extra flavor.
- Corn on the cob, a baked potato or a salad can be a great addition to any meal.
- Choose these items instead of the high-fat macaroni or potato salad, and you’ll save a lot of calories without losing any of the flavor.
- Sliced watermelon or a fresh fruit salad can make sweet side dish.
- A fresh fruit tray with some yogurt for dipping is another option that is sure to be a hit.
- Berries with a dollop of cool whip are a refreshing dessert.
- Adding berries to angel food cake or low-fat ice cream can add volume and increase the nutritional value of the dessert without adding a lot of calories.